I have been busy with all things garlic in the kitchen this week and I am loving this roasted garlic soup with garlic cheese toasts to dip in. A great soup to keep away the colds this winter.
This week I have been mostly been trying to keep warm and amuse the boys with indoor activities. As well as getting muddy with Twiggy the Pony! I keep hearing threats of snow but have yet to see any, not even a single flake! In all honesty, I am a big kid when it comes to snow. I can handle the cold when snow is involved. Snowmen, sledging, snow balls fights! Nugget is yet to see the snow and I can’t wait to see his little face when it appears for the first time in his life.
This roasted garlic soup is a perfect comfort on a cold wintery night and garlic is really good for you too!
Want to know how to roast garlic?
I posted an easy to follow guide on Monday about roasting garlic which you can see here. The flavour is mild and sweeter when you roast it, so don’t worry you won’t be overpowered by garlic.
I love to have something to dip in my soup. The little cheese toasts are a great soup partner and so much better than just plain bread and butter!
I actually had to make a double batch as they were mostly munched by the boys before I could grab one…. At least I know they approved!
Roasted Garlic Soup with Garlic Cheese Toasts
For the Soup
- 4 Bulbs of Roasted Garlic
- 30 g Butter
- 1 Onion
- 1 Leek
- 200 g Potatoes
- 0.5 tsp Fresh Thyme chopped
- 500 ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 50 ml Double Cream
For the Garlic Cheese Toasts
- 2 Cloves of Roasted Garlic
- 30 g Butter softened
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley chopped
- 3 Thick Slices of Bread
- Olive Oil
- 20 g Parmesan Cheese
- Finely chop the onion and leek and peel and cube the potato.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion, leek, potato, mix to coat them.
- Cover the saucepan with a piece of baking paper and place a lid on top, sweat it gently over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme.
- Pour over the chicken stock and turn up the heat to medium. Cook until the vegetables are completely soft.
- Pour the soup into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan, add the cream and stir through.
Garlic Cheese Toasts
- Preheat oven to 200oc (180oc fan assisted)
- Using as fork, mash the butter with the garlic and parsley.
- Cut the bread slices into quarters.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over a baking tray and lay the bread slices onto it.
- Drizzle a little more oil onto the bread.
- Spread each piece with the garlic butter.
- Grate the parmesan and sprinkle over the top.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes and bake until golden.
Looking for more soup recipes?
Try this courgette and basil soup now