Oh Wow! This is just so amazing! Just writing about it makes me feel hungry!
As much as I love it, pulled pork always seemed like such a faff, surely it can’t taste so amazing and not be really hard work? But honestly this isn’t! An amazingly tasty meal that doesn’t have a billion ingredients or takes ages to prepare. The oven does most of the work for you, so just sit back and relax!
Pork and Apple
Pork and apple is always a win, the two flavours go together like….well,… apple and pork! Add in everything else to make the sticky, sweet apple sauce and you won’t be able to resist a second….. third….. and maybe fourth helping! You won’t find any leftovers in our kitchen.
This Pulled Pork is great in burger rolls with onion rings and coleslaw.
Sweet Apple Pulled Pork
- 1 kg Boneless Pork Shoulder
- 2 Bramley Apples, Peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 100 g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
- 100 ml Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- Line a roasting pan with 2 large sheets of foil, one laid each way. Make sure they are long enough to create a parcel.
- Place apple, syrup and sugar into a saucepan and cook over a gentle heat until the apple is soft and the ingredients are mixed together.
- Turn off the heat and add the salt and mustard and mix through.
- Lay the pork into your pan and pour over 3/4 of the apple sauce. Join the sides of the foil to create a parcel (make sure there is space between the foil and pork).
- Cook for 3 hours at 160 oc (140 fan assisted).
- After this time, fold down the sides of the foil and spoon over the rest of the apple sauce.
- Cook for another hour. Remove from the oven, cover and allow to rest for 20-30 mins, before serving.
- When you are ready to serve, take 2 forks and shred the meat.
Pulled Pork FAQs
The best cut is the shoulder. Buy a boneless shoulder joint and ensure that you cook it for long enough to break down the protein.
Sure, I would add a little stock and butter to the pot and cook for around 7 hours until the meat pulls apart easily.
Yes you can! Once the meat has cooled pack it into freezer bags and remove the excess air and seal the bags tightly. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before reheating thoroughly.