It’s June! That means it’s officially strawberry season, YAY! There are so many different things you can do with strawberries in the kitchen and over the next few weeks I will get cooking and bring you some delicious ideas. But to start with, I thought I would bring you a simple Pavlova recipe. Using Meringue made from egg white, this simple dessert recipe will go down a treat with the whole family!
The ingredients are few and simple: eggs, sugar, vanilla and cream… oh and plenty and plenty of strawberries! As many as you can fit on will do nicely. It takes no time at all to prepare. Just be sure to save me a slice! I cannot get enough of pavlova!
The main thing about making meringue is to ensure you have a VERY clean bowl, meringues do not like any fat residue and that includes the yolk. So be extra careful when separating the eggs.
When you have finished cooking, turn off the oven and leave the pavlova in there overnight, this helps to prevent the shell from cracking.
Yes, whilst they are both similar using egg whites as the base, pavlova tends to be softer in the middle whilst maintaining a crunchier outer layer. Meringue is harder all the way through.
Ideally, you should decorate your pavlova immediately before serving. This way everything is as fresh a possible and it prevents the pavlova going soggy. Feel free to prepare all your ingredients beforehand and store in airtight containers in the fridge until you need them.
Pavlova is best eaten on the day it is decorated but will still be edible up to 2 days later as long as you keep it chilled in the fridge.
Once your pavlova has cooled, place it in an airtight container until you’re ready to use it. You can keep it like this for around 2 days.
- 3 Egg Whites
- 175 g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 1 Punnet Strawberries
- Icing Sugar to Decorate
- Preheat your oven to 140C (120C fan assisted)
- Start by separating your eggs and put the egg whites into a bowl.
- Whisk the whites until they foam up and form peaks that will hold their shape. This will take some strong arms! Use an electric whisk if you have one.
- Add the caster sugar and vanilla extract gradually whilst you continue to whisk.
- Shape your meringue onto baking paper on a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Cook for 40 minutes until it begins to golden. Turn the oven off after this time and allow to cool. This helps the meringue retain it's shape, if you can't wait (like me!!) you can remove from the oven sooner but be prepared for the meringue to crack a little. Either way just wait until it's completely cool before the next step.
- Whisk your double cream until it thickens.
- Spread your double cream onto your meringue leaving the outer edge.
- Wash and chop your strawberries and arrange them onto your meringue however you like.
- Chill your pavlova in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Just before serving sprinkle with some icing sugar….. and enjoy!
Looking for More Strawberry Recipes?
Try this Eton mess Ice Cream now