I love a roast dinner! It’s so homely and comforting. A perfect way to share a dinner together as a family. This delicious lemony roast chicken will make any roast dinner, simply spectacular.
My boys love their roast dinners and I totally love feeding them!
There are times when I worry they don’t eat enough. I don’t think it’s just me, I believe this is a universal “mum way” of thinking. You become a mum and suddenly have the urge to fatten up everybody around you, it’s like a physical display of your love.
I’m also pretty sure it carries on through to old age…. My Great Aunt Joan was a perfect example. She would be trying to feed you from the moment you walked in the door until you left. Even then, you can be sure she’d be sending you home with something wrapped up “for the journey”. She obviously loved us very much!
You can be sure the cats and dog will also be crowding around the table, wide eyed, when a roast is served, just waiting for their share. I tend to buy a bigger chicken, I couldn’t possibly leave them out! After all, my fur babies are very much loved too!
So, feed your family to the brim and try this chicken!
Lemony Roast Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon zest and juice
- 2 Cloves of Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 Fresh Sage Leaves chopped
- 50 g Butter
- Mix the oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, pepper and sage in a bowl.
- Pour over the chicken and place the rest of the whole lemon inside the chicken.
- Soften the butter and spread over the chicken.
- Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 200oc.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and uncover. Place in the oven to cook for 20 minutes per 500g plus an extra 20 minutes at the end.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Need a side dish for this roast chicken?
Try these rosemary roast potatoes now!