If you’re on a diet, please look away now!! I don’t want to be responsible for your fall from the wagon! These indulgent caramel bars are a little too good and the fact I keep going back into the kitchen for “just one more” says it all really. Next week you’ll find me running marathons to burn these off, but honestly, I don’t care! These are so worth it!
Ginger and Chocolate Orange Caramel Bars
If you’re looking for a delicious treat for the weekend, or craving a gooey caramel pick me up, these are guaranteed to satisfy you.
Grate the orange zest.
Place the ginger biscuits into a food processor and mix until they become crumbs.
Melt the butter and add to the biscuits along with the orange zest. Mix them again.
Press the biscuit mixture into a 23cm square tin lined with baking paper.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
For the caramel, melt the butter and sugar together. Add the golden syrup and condensed milk and stir continuously over a low heat. Do not allow to stick to the pan or it will burn. Keep mixing until the mixture turns a toffee colour.
Pour the caramel over the biscuit base and spread evenly using a spatula. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
Melt the chocolate with the orange juice and pour over the caramel. Allow to set and cool (the chocolate will not set completely) and enjoy!
Looking for more treat snack bar recipes?
Try these Fruity Jewelled Flapjacks now
Gingernut & Chocolate Orange Caramel Bars
- 300g Gingernut Biscuits
- 100g Butter
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest
- 110g Butter
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1/2 of a 397g tin of Condensed Milk
- 150g Milk Chocolate
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 160 oc
- For the base. Place Biscuits n a food processor and mix until they become breadcrumbs
- Grate the orange zest and melt the butter and add to the biscuits. Mix again until fully combined.
- Press down into a 23cm square tin lined with baking paper. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the caramel, melt the butter and sugar and add the golden syrup and condensed milk. Stir continuously over a low heat until it becomes a toffee colour.
- Pour the caramel over the biscuit base and allow to cool completely.
- For the chocolate topping, melt the chocolate with the orange juice and pour over the caramel. Allow to cool and set and then cut into as many bars as you like!