A perfect dinner for guests, this crispy roasted butter sage chicken smothered in a creamy, indulgent sauce tastes like you’ve been slaving away in the kitchen for hours! When in fact, it doesn’t take a lot of time or effort at all!
It’s cold and getting too dark in the evenings! Boooo! The boys took the dog for a long walk, played a quick game of “Crunchy leaves” along the path and I decided that it is now time for winter jacket shopping! There is so much choice but in recent years, I always end up opting for a humungous coat that looks like I’ve just wrapped a duvet around myself! I really hate to be cold!
Well, not this year! I am determined to find something warm and at the same time, fashionable….. Do those two words ever go together?!? Failing that, I shall just layer up and bear it….. or stay inside by the radiator and literally wrap myself in a duvet!
So, after pondering my jacket status, I decided that we needed a treat for dinner, something indulgent and warming.
So here is dinner! Perfect, creamy and delicious!
Making the Sauce Ahead
The Sauce can actually be made ahead and reheating it in a pan doesn’t ruin the flavour at all. Alternatively, if you’d prefer, you can cook all the sauce ingredients and then wait to add the cream when you heat it up to use it. Either way is fine.
Score the Chicken
To really incorporate the butter sage flavours into the chicken, try scoring the chicken legs with a sharp knife. You can then spread the sage butter over them, being sure to allow some to get deep into the scored areas. At this point, if you have time, I recommend covering them and placing in the fridge to marinate for a while.
I love to serve this chicken dish as part of a roast dinner. The creamy mushroom sauce goes particularly well when you dip roast potatoes into it.
Butter Sage Chicken in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
For the Chicken
- 4 Skin on Bone in Chicken Legs
- 30 g Butter
- 1 Cloves of Garlic
- 4 Fresh Sage Leaves
- 0.25 tsp Black Pepper
For the Sauce
- 200 g Mushrooms
- 1 Leek
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Onion
- 4 Sage Leaves
- 30 g Butter
- 100 ml White Wine
- 200 ml Chicken Stock
- 150 ml Double Cream
- Preheat the oven to 180oc
- Prepare your chicken first, crush the garlic and chop the sage. Add these with the pepper to softened butter.
- Spread over the chicken and place in the oven for 45 minutes
- Melt the butter for your sauce in a pan over a medium heat.
- Chop the mushrooms, leek and onion. Crush the garlic and add all to the pan. Continue to cook over a medium heat until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the sage and white wine and cook until the wine is reduced and almost gone.
- Add the chicken stock and cook until it begins to thicken.
- Add your cream and warm through. Pour over the chicken and serve immediately.
Looking for more chicken recipes?
Try this Crispy Lemon Chicken Bites now!