Flatbread is so quick and easy to make. If you’re looking for a yummy snack or something to share with friends, these herby flatbreads dipped in pizza hummus are just great!
My regular hummus recipe is still one of my most favourite things, but I think this version will take it’s place for a while.
And the herby flatbread is the perfect pal to scoop it up with! The two go together so well.
Feeling particularly proud that I couldn’t stop Nugget from literally eating half a bowl of this stuff! So I certainly gained some mummy points with this one too! He seemed to enjoy the spiciness of the chilli flakes, which isn’t usually his thing. I’m glad I could convince him of the joys of spice with this recipe.
Why Not Add Cheese to Your Flatbread?
For me, I always associate pizza with tomato, basil, oregano and of course cheese! I wasn’t so sure how the hummus would taste with cheese mixed in and I wasn’t feeling daring enough to try it, but if you want that cheesy pizza feel, just melt your choice of cheese over the top of the flatbread bread, spread on the hummus and you kinda have a pizza, right?!
I am now off to the fridge to get some cheese…..! There isn’t much convincing I need in order to eat cheese, or add cheese to a recipe. What can I say? I am a huge cheese addict and cheesey flatbread definitely sounds great!
Herby Flatbreads with Pizza Hummus
For the Flatbreads
- 300 g Strong White Bread Flour
- 10 g Active Dried Yeast
- 5 g Salt
- 200 ml Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 0.5 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Flaky Sea Salt
- 0.5 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 40 g Butter or 4 tbsp Olive Oil
For the Hummus
- 400 g Can of Chickpeas (drained weight 240g)
- 2 tbsp Sundried Tomato Puree
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 0.5 tsp Dried Basil
- 0.5 tsp Dried Oregano
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chilli Flakes to Decorate
- Add the yeast and sugar to the water and leave to sit for 20 minutes until foamy
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl and add the foamy yeast water and oil. Mix until combined.
- Knead the dough until it becomes stretchy and elastic and begins to form a skin.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough back to remove the air on a floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball and then roll out until it's as thin as you can get it.
- Heat a skillet or fry pan and brush with a little vegetable oil.
- Wait until hot and place the flatbreads in one at a time. Leave for about 30 seconds to a minute and turn over, it should puff up.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes and turn back over again. It should leave golden brown spots on each side.
- Dry toast the herbs with the flaky salt and chilli flakes until aromatic.
- Melt the butter or warm the olive oil slightly and add the toasted herbs, salt and chilli.
- Mix it together and brush over one side of the flatbreads. Best served warm but can be eaten cool.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Place all the ingredients except the chilli flakes into a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Place in a bowl to serve and sprinkle over the chilli flakes to decorate, you can add more and mix through if you like it spicy.
Looking for more snack recipes?
Try these Filled Deli Pesto Scones now!