This courgette and basil soup is the perfect way to use up a glut of courgettes at the end of the growing season.
We were recently gifted with some lovely home grown courgettes. I love growing my own ones too. Courgette plants have the potential to give you a really good crop, if you look after them well.
However, because you can end up with so many, I do struggle with recipes to use them in.
Whilst courgettes are delicious in their own right just as they are, cooked in a little butter. Using courgettes in a soup is a great alternative when you have a lot of them. You can then freeze portions too and save for another day.
Have you ever grown your own courgettes? If you have, you will know that if you don’t harvest them quickly, they can get pretty big! The skin tends to become tougher as they grow bigger but that doesn’t make them destined for the compost heap. Just peel the tough skin off first, chop them up and use them for this recipe .
You may hear some people refer to large courgettes as marrows. Although, there are some slight differences between the two horticulturally speaking. You are more than welcome to call this a marrow and basil soup if you like.
Combining the courgettes with the Italian taste of fresh basil, this soup has just the right blend to accentuate the flavours of each ingredient without either being too overpowering.
It’s an ideal soup for either lunch or dinner. And it’s filling enough to satisfy your hunger.
It went down really well with my boys. And I mean REALLY well! So much so, that I only managed to grab a small bowl for myself before it was all gone. So, please don’t forget to save yourself some before offering it to the rest of the family!
Courgette and Basil Soup
- 600 g Courgettes
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 600 ml Chicken Stock
- 50 g Parmesan
- 50 ml Double Cream
- Handful Fresh Basil Leaves
- Slice the courgettes into strips and wrap in foil, place in a preheated oven at 180oc (160oc fan assisted) and roast for 20 minutes to soften.
- Remove from the oven and cut into chunks, leave to one side.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the crushed garlic, allow to soften and then add the courgette chunks.
- Chop the basil finely and add to the pan, mix through.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan and add the parmesan and cream. Mix, heat through and serve.
Looking for More Soup Recipes?
Why not head on over to my Roasted Garlic Soup recipe and give that a try.