Treat your loved ones and yourself this Valentines Day to these rich, chocolate Brownie cupcakes.
Being Valentines day today, I felt the need for something totally indulgent. I love brownies, so making them into cute cupcakes topped with marshmallow fluff frosting seemed about right for today!
When these came out of the oven, they nearly disappeared before I had the chance to decorate them. Usually, I would be saying that disappearing food was a result of two curious, food loving little boys, whose little pleas for “samples” I cannot resist. But these particular disappearing cupcakes were all down to me! The boys were out!
Luckily, this recipe makes 15 and I would probably have fallen into a chocolate coma, before having the chance to polish them all off.
Of course, having 15 little treats in front of me didn’t stop me from trying though! I am a sucker for warm treats straight from the oven. With a frequently burnt tongue, you’d think I would learn! But no… The temptation is far too strong! Especially when there is warm chocolate involved!
These cupcakes would be great all by themselves, but to me, cupcakes tend to look a little sad and incomplete without a topping.
This marshmallow buttercream topping is just right for these chocolatey little Valentine cupcakes.
Decorating Valentine cupcakes is the best way to spend the day.
Decorating cupcakes is so therapeutic and since I had the house all to myself for a couple of hours, I figured this would be the best way to spend it. Of course, I could have been doing something a little more productive, like housework or paying bills. But, let’s be honest, what would you rather be doing given the choice?!
Cupcake decorating is it! Every time!
Happy Valentines Day!!
Chocolate Brownie Valentines Cupcakes With Marshmallow Frosting
For the Cupcakes
- 140 g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 85 g Unsalted Butter
- 180 g Dark Chocolate
- 200 g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 50 g Milk Chocolate
For the Marshmallow Frosting
- 100 g Unsalted Butter
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Double Cream
- 213 g Jar of Marshmallow Fluff
For the Decoration
- 70 g White Chocolate
- Concentrated Red Food Colouring
- Small Candy Hearts
- Preheat oven to 170oc (150oc fan assisted)
- Melt the butter and plain chocolate over a gentle heat and leave to one side to cool a little.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar until thick and creamy.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder and add to the eggs. Mix until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and stir in until combined.
- Chop the milk chocolate into small chunks and add to the mixture, stir in gentle to disperse throughout.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases, filling about 3/4 to the top.
- Place into the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the cakes develop a smooth hard top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Mix the butter, cream and icing sugar until smooth.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and beat again until smooth, creamy and white.
- Place into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Melt the white chocolate and add the food colouring until you reach your desired colour.
- Draw heart shapes on the back of a piece of baking paper and turn over.
- Place the chocolate into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle and follow the heart patterns with the chocolate. Try to keep them thick enough so they don't fall apart too easily.
- Allow to set somewhere cool. (You can place them in the freezer for a few minutes to help them along.
- Place a heart shape onto each frosted cupcake.
Looking for more cupcake recipes?
Try these carrot cake cupcakes now