I am a huge cookie fan. I am also a real spicy food fan too, so there’s nothing better than to combine two of my favourite food loves with these Spicy Chilli Chocolate Cookies with an added lime flavour.
Making Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chilli chocolate is amazing! I mean, chocolate on it’s own is amazing. But, there was a real genius at work when they came up with chilli spiced chocolate.
If you have never tried it, I am urging you to try it now! It’s isn’t spicy in the conventional “need a glass of water immediately” way. But, the warmth of the chilli leaves the mouth tingling at the end of each bite.
So, I figured that the best way to enjoy chilli chocolate was to make it into cookies. I made sure that this spicy chocolate chip cookie recipe is simple and easy to follow for beginners and kitchen pros alike. You get all the flavour and the uniqueness of spicy chocolate rolled into one simple recipe.
This chilli chocolate recipe uses dark chocolate chunks throughout the cookies but if you wanted an extra kick, you could use a bar of chilli chocolate in it’s place. I place the chilli right in there with the rest of the cookie dough, so you get a spicy hot pepper chocolate kick throughout. However, using plain chocolate means that you haven’t got to go out and try to find any special ingredients to make these. So, you can have these cookies baking today!
Why add Fresh Lime to this Chilli Chocolate Cookie?
Adding fresh lime juice and zest to the cookies gives them a little zing and just enhances the dance your tastebuds will be doing when eating these. Lime and Chocolate are a great combo, as is chilli and lime. When you combine these three flavours, wow, just WOW!
I go through phases of cookie baking regularly. These Easter chocolate cookies were a particular favourite of mine, but pretty seasonal right? I can’t possibly wait until Easter each year to enjoy a delicious chocolate cookie! That’s far too long for me.
I will admit, I made these spicy chocolate chip cookies all for myself. That’s not something I usually do in the kitchen, when I have two hungry boys looking at me. However, everyone deserves their own special chocolate spicy treat now and then, right!?
These chocolate, spicy cookies are best served still slightly warm when you can get the full gooey, chocolate chunk experience.
Try making the dough the day before, that is, if you can wait. Chilling the dough in the fridge for longer will help them to hold and more chunky shape in the oven and not spread too much.
Spicy chilli chocolate cookies are definitely at the top of my favourite cookie list right now and you need to give them a go!
You can store them in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
I would recommend freezing the dough before baking. You can either do this in one big ball if you want to defrost and bake it all at once in the future or creating smaller portions. Defrost in the fridge and then shape into balls before baking.
I am yet to try this myself, but there is no reason not to. Be careful with how much chilli you add, different chillis will have different levels of spiciness and I would recommend to deseed them first, unless you like your food super spicy.
Of course! You can try adding some cayenne pepper to the mix if you like it more spicy. Add a little extra chilli at a time to taste, until you are happy with the level of heat in the cookie dough.
Chilli And Lime Chocolate Cookies
- 360 grams Plain Flour
- 30 grams Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Chilli Powder
- 220 grams Unsalted Butter
- 160 grams Dark Brown Soft Sugar
- 60 grams Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 whole Lime, Zest and Juice
- 2 large Eggs
- 180 grams Dark Chocolate
- Mix Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, Salt and Chilli in a Bowl and leave to one side.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter until smooth then add the sugar and mix until incorporated and the sugar has dissolved into the butter.
- Add the lime juice and eggs to the butter and mix again.
- Sift the flour mixture into the butter gradually and mix until combined.
- Cut the chocolate into chunks and add the chocolate and lime zest to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the mixture into the fridge and chill for at least an hour but you can leave it overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan assisted).
- Divide the cookie mixture into rough balls, (try not to handle it too much) and place on a greased, lined baking tray with space inbetween each one to allow them to expand.
- Place into the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool before serving.
Want more cookie recipes?
If you love combining delicious flavours, try these Orange and Ginger Biscuits, they’re great too!