Who doesn’t love cupcakes? They are great for any day of the week and these Carrot cupcakes with orange cream frosting are just begging to be eaten.
Based on carrot cake, these perfect little portions just taste so good with the Orange Cream frosting. I am trying really hard to stop myself eating the whole lot. Oh but what the hey! I’ll have just 1 more….. or maybe 2….! You may just find me knee deep in them later, munching the lot! I can’t help it, I blame the cupcakes.
Cupcakes have endless possibilities for flavour combinations. You could try these Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes too for another delicious small cake treat.
Decorate When You’re Ready to Serve
The orange topping too, is just amazing! But I would advise to decorate them when you’re ready to serve, because the cupcakes will keep for longer without the cream frosting on top. This can be kept separately in the fridge for when you are ready to begin decorating these little cakes.
Quicker Baking Time
Another benefit to baking these cupcakes instead of a full carrot cake recipe is the cooking time. These cupcakes are baked in around 15 minutes. Much less time to wait than a full cake so you can enjoy them sooner.
You can freeze the cupcakes without the icing, just take out of the freezer and allow to defrost before you decorate them
If you store undecorated in an airtight container, they’ll be good for about 4 days. You can make a smaller amount of the topping when you need it. Decorated cupcakes need to be stored in the refrigerator.
It’s important to grate the carrot as finely as you can, you don’t want large chunks of carrots in your cupcakes. I use a box grater, but you can also use a food processor too.
Yes, it is a good idea to peel the carrots first as the outer layer of skin is usually dry and more tough.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Orange Cream Frosting
For The Cupcakes
- 300 g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 pinch Salt
- 120 g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
- 1 tbsp Grated Orange Zest
- 150 ml Sunflower Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 50 ml Fresh Orange Juice
- 126 g Carrots, Finely Grated
- 100 g Sultanas
For the Orange Cream
- 100 g Cream Cheese
- 80 g Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest, Finely Grated
- 400 g Icing Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180oc (160oc Fan assisted).
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate, mixed spice and salt into a bowl and add the sugar and orange zest and combine together.
- Add the oil, eggs and juice and mix until you have a batter.
- Add the carrot and mix through, followed by the sultanas.
- Pour into your cupcake cases until they are roughly 3/4 full and place in oven for 15mins until golden and cooked through.
- Take out of oven and leave to cool completely.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter until fully combined, add the orange zest and juice and mix.
- Add the Icing Sugar and mix again until the mixture turns pale.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, Spread or pipe the orange cream on top and decorate with a little Orange Zest.
Looking for more cupcake Recipes?
Check out these Battenburg Cupcakes Now!
If you have any other questions please feel free to post them below and I’ll reply.