Jazz up plain potato wedges with some whole roasted seeds and a sesame dip on the side. These Rustic Wedges are easy and out of this world amazing!
Nugget has been out and about getting used to his new shoes and the baby reins.
Baby reins! What an amazing invention! It saves my sanity when we’re out that I don’t have to worry about constant grazed knees from falling or that moment when they suddenly decide to dart towards a road!
They do take a little getting used to, Nugget found that rather than walking, it would be sooo much more fun to hang forward and dangle on them like a puppet…. Not quite what I had in mind!
But we’ll get there, they are much easier than the backpack carrier, which was starting to break my back under his rapidly increasing weight!
Potato wedges are one of the boys favourite things so after a long walk and a lot of dangling, what better way to fill their hungry tummies!
Don’t worry about peeling your potatoes, these are meant to be easy and simple but will look like you’ve taken your time preparing them so just chop away into wedges roughly the same size.
You won’t need to boil the sweet potato first, but I always like to part boil the potato wedges, just to make sure they are fluffy and soft inside after they have been roasted. If you don’t want to do this, then just make sure you don’t make them too big, otherwise they won’t cook all the way through in the same amount of time as the sweet potatoes.
The whole seeds sprinkled over the wedges adds a yummy crunch to the simple wedges and what’s great is that you don’t have to do anything extra, after the wedges have been drenched in the flavoured oil, the seeds will naturally stick to them and roast to a crunchy finish along with the wedges.
Now, what I really, really love about this recipe is the sesame dip on the side. I always have tahini to hand for a bowl of hummus when we fancy it and you only need to use a small amount for a big flavour. It compliments the wedges so well!
Rustic Wedges with a Sesame Dip
- 500g Potatoes
- 500g Sweet Potatoes
- 100ml Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
For the Dip:
- 2 Heaped Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Tsp Tahini
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Pinch Salt
- Cut the white potatoes into wedges (no need to peel them) and place in a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil, simmer for 5-10 minutes until they begin to soften. Remove from the heat and drain.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges.
- Mix the paprika, cumin seeds and salt with the oil and place all the wedges in a large bowl, cover them with the oil mixture and stir until they are all covered.
- Mix the seeds in with the potatoes.
- Spread the wedges out on a large baking tray and cook in a preheated oven for 40 minutes at 200oc (180oc fan assisted). Turn them once during the cooking time to ensure they cook evenly.
- For the dip, mix all the ingredients together to form the dip, decorate with some extra seeds.