This Little Home
Sussex Smokie BakeIngredients:
- 220g Smoked Haddock
- 300ml Milk
- 100ml Double Cream
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 500g Potatoes
- 1 Leek
- 1 Onion
- 50g Butter
- 20g Flour
- Capful of White Wine
- 150g Cheddar, Grated
- 70g Breadcrumbs
- Peel and chop the potatoes into cubes, place in a pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for a few minutes until the potatoes begin to soften.
- Drain the potatoes and leave to one side.
- Place the milk, cream and bay leaf into a pan and gently heat over a low flame.
- Add the haddock and poach until soft.
- Whilst the fish is poaching, finely chop the leek and onion and fry with 30g of the butter until soft.
- Remove the fish from the milk and put to one side. Discard the bay leaf.
- In a separate pan, mix the flour and the rest of the butter to make a paste.
- Add a little of the milk to the paste and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the rest of the milk until it becomes thick and without lumps.
- Add the wine and 100g of the cheddar and mix thorough until the cheese has melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Flake in the haddock and add the potatoes, leek and onion. Mix through and pour into an oven proof dish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the rest of the cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Place in a preheated oven at 200 (180oc fan assisted) for 30-40 minutes until the breadcrumbs turn golden and crunchy.