Following on from my Pizza Sauce recipe, I bring you an easy and delicious Pizza Dough!
I can be rather impatient in the kitchen so breads and dough tend to take some thought and I need to allocate my time when preparing it. As I wait for it to rise I always try to have something else on the go, so that I am not sitting around twiddling my thumbs, who am I kidding?! There is never a moment to sit around with two young boys on the go! But I do like to keep busy and allow the dough to take it’s time and rise.
Make Your Own Pizza Dough Base At Home
To be fair, a good home made pizza is totally worth the wait!
I grew up with a love for Pizza. Mainly inspired by my Birthdays. My parents used to take me to the most amazing Italian restaurant every year. It would be what I looked forward to the most. I always ordered the same thing; a Margherita Pizza with strawberries and cream for dessert. One year I remember stepping outside my comfort zone and ordering my pizza with pineapple on top! This is my second favourite thing to the usual plain pizza, and I save it for when I’m feeling a little adventurous… Wild, I know!
As I got older and began going clubbing for my birthdays instead, the restaurant visits ceased. Although I still visit there on occasion to relive a little fond memory from my past.
Whist I would love to share my experience with the boys, I will have to wait until they are slightly older. There is something about sitting in restaurants which sends them in a downward spiral to total mayhem! Things usually start well and end quite abruptly before dessert, with the middle part usually consisting of us throwing the food down our throats as fast as we can before our little animals begin to terrorise the other diners. I am just glad I can cook!
- 250ml Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tsp Yeast
- 450g Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Dried Basil
- Place warm water, oil and honey into a bowl and stir until the honey has dissolved.
- Add the yeast and leave for 20 minutes until foamy.
- Mix the flour, salt, garlic and basil and add to the water.
- Knead to form a dough, place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave somewhere warm for 1-2 hours.
- Once risen, turn out onto a floured surface and knead until you have knocked all the air bubbles out of the dough.
- Shape your pizza base to your desired thickness, and using a fork prick the base but not the crusts.
- Spread over the pizza sauce and cheese and desired topping and bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes at 180 oc.