As much as I love being outdoors, the wind and rain combined just makes me want to hibernate. I couldn’t think of a better accompaniment to a chilly evening than a big bowl of leek and potato soup!
The fireworks throughout the town carried on right through the weekend and I’m pretty sure there will now be sporadic glittery displays until the new year. Who really needs an excuse to have a fireworks party, right?
So, whilst I have some light evening entertainment every so often for these coming months, we also have a busy week ahead. Bam Bam and his best pony friend, Twiggy, have their first competition this coming weekend. Showing his pony and his riding in front of a crowd is right up Bam Bam’s street. Whilst he can be quite a shy boy at first, he loves to put on a show. This weekend is a perfect platform for him to begin. I will just be needing to find some time to actually ride myself!
There is a surprising amount involved in pony showing. From the right colour hat, to the right kind of bridle and even the right kind of outfit for me to lead him in. Pretentious? Yes, slightly, but it can be bags of fun if you try not to take yourself too seriously.
So while we are braving the weather and keeping busy in preparation for Bam Bam’s and Twiggy’s big debut, do some hibernating for me and enjoy a big bowl of this leek and potato soup.
Leek and Potato Soup
- 450 g Potatoes
- 250 g Leeks
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 30 g Butter
- 1 L Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- Peel potatoes and chop into small chunks, slice the leeks, chop the onion and crush the garlic.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the vegetables, cover them all in the melted butter.
- Cover the pan and sweat the vegetables on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, turn the heat down to medium and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Place the soup in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Serve with a splash of cream.
Looking for more Soup recipes?
Try this Curried honey roast parsnip soup recipe now!