After making the hummus the other day, we needed something amazing to dip into it and these cheddar and red onion breadsticks were just the thing! Even Nugget can’t get enough.
My absence from the blog has been mainly due to Nugget. A poorly baby means that nothing can get done and with a throat infection, Nugget has been demanding cuddles, carrying and entertainment. Of course I am more than happy to oblige to baby cuddles all day, although my back could do with a break from all the carrying. But hey, I have made it back to the blog and back to the kitchen and Nugget is now happy and all is right in the world again.
Make Your Own Cheddar and Red Onion Breadsticks
These breadsticks are great all by themselves too, you can even freeze some for later. So get baking and get snacking.
Chop the red onion finely and fry until soft in a little oil. Leave to one side to cool.
Place the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a bowl and slowly add the water until the dough is brought together and mixed.
Knead the dough for another 5-10 minutes until it becomes elastic. Cover the dough in a bowl with a tea towel and leave to prove for 1-2 hours.
Once the dough has risen, knock it back on a floured surface to remove the air bubbles. Add the cheddar and red onions and mix through the dough.
Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll out each pieces into a long stick. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
Brush each bread stick with beaten egg and place in a preheated oven at 200oc (180oc fan assisted) for 15-20 minutes until golden.
Looking for More Breadstick Recipes?
Try these Pizza Breadsticks now!
Cheddar and Red Onion Breadsticks
- 500g Strong White Bread Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Yeast
- 300ml Luke Warm Water
- 1 Red Onion
- 60g Cheddar Cheese
- Place the flour in a bowl and add the yeast and sugar to one side of the bowl and the salt to the other side.
- Add the water grandually and using your hands, knead to form a dough.
- Continue to knead the dough on a floured surface until it becomes elastic.
- Put in a bowl and cover with a tea towel, place in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Chop the red onion finely and fry until soft in a little oil.
- Once the dough has risen, place on a floured surface and knock back to remove the air.
- Add the onion and cheddar and knead through the dough.
- Divide the dough into balls somewhere between the size of a golf ball and tennis ball.
- Stretch out each piece into a long tube and place on baking trays lined with baking paper with some space between each one.
- Put each try into a plastic bag and place back into a warm area to rest for another 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 200 0c (180 oc fan assisted).
- Remove plastic bags from the trays and brush each stick with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm or store in airtight container, they will stay fresh for a couple of days.