A delicious idea for a party or lunch. These savoury pesto flavoured scones filled with Italian flavours are guaranteed to impress your friends.
Filled Deli Pesto Scones Recipe
I am usually a girl who is running around trying to fit a week’s worth of jobs into a few hours and I hate to admit that I am known to forget to eat in the day.
I know! How on earth could I forget to eat?! I am usually in my kitchen surrounded by food! But, as crazy and absent minded as it is. I do occasionally miss lunch.
There are other times, however, I really fancy a posh lunch. Something a little more grown up. This pesto flavoured recipe is perfect for those days and recipes like these really make up for those missed lunch days.
So Much More Than Just A Scone
When you think of scones, your mind will usually travel to one of two places, cheese flavoured ones and fruit filled ones. Both are amazing of course. But, scones have the potential to be so much more than that. And, there is nothing stopping you from flavouring them in lots of different ways and filling them.
Whilst these scones look pretty grown up with their brimming fillings which consist of a selection of deli meats, provolone cheese and rocket. I wasn’t surprised to find that the boys also loved them without the filling and simply spread with butter.
There aren’t many recipes I make that the boys don’t want to at least try. But, luckily, this recipe makes 8 so there’s enough to go around.
You could be really flash and whip up a batch of your own pesto. Find the recipe here.
So, enjoy a big girl’s (or boys) lunch. Go and prepare a tasty feast for friends and make some pesto scones!
Filled Deli Pesto Scones
For the Scones
- 250 g Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 70 g Pecorino (+ extra for topping)
- 2 tbsp Pesto
- 140 ml Milk
- 1 Egg, Beaten
For the Filling
- Provolone Cheese
- A mix of cold deli meats
- Rocket Salad
- Preheat the oven to 220oc (200oc fan assisted)
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Grate the pecorino and mix through.
- Add the pesto and milk and mix until it forms a dough. Be careful not to overmix otherwise the scones will be heavy).
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll out until it's about 2.5cm thick.
- Using a cutter, cut out 8 circles and place on a lined baking tray, leaving space inbetween each one to allow them to rise.
- Brush the tops with the beaten egg and sprinkle with extra pecorino.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20mins until browned and hollow sounding when you tap the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.
- When ready, cut the scones in half and fill with the meats, rocket and provolone and serve.
Looking for more scones recipes?
Try these two cheese scones now.