This curried honey roast parsnip soup is so comforting and warming. Perfect for the day after a roast dinner, just throw in some extra parsnips and save them for this.
Curried Honey Roast Parsnip Soup With Parsnip Crisps
I am a total sucker for a supermarket offer and Parsnips were on sale this week. I got myself sucked in to a great bargain and bulk bought a huge bag. Then, once at home, I found myself staring at the bag and wondering what to do with them all.
However, it turned out to be a great buy! I’m pretty happy with my spur of the moment buy after all.
Honey roast Parsnips are a favourite accompaniment to a roast dinner in our house. But with this soup you can enjoy Parsnips in other recipes too.
It’s also a great make ahead meal, just freeze into portions and defrost when you need it.
Spice it up as much as you like, feel free to add more or less curry powder to suit your tastes.
Need an Accompaniment To This Soup?
A great partner to this parsnip soup has to be the Honey Oat Bread I made earlier in the week.
Yes, I got a little honey crazy in the kitchen! But this was a good reason to.
I wanted to add something extra to top the soup and make it a little more special. So a few crispy, crunchy and easy to make parsnip crisps were the way to go.
When you first take the crisps out of the oil, they will still feel a little floppy. Don’t worry, they will harden up as they cool.
You can always make extra crisps and serve with some dip. And this is probably a good idea if you’re anything like me, who nearly ate them all before I could decorate the soup!
Looking for more soup recipes?
Try this leek and potato soup recipe now
Curried Honey Roast Parsnip Soup with Parsnip Crisps
For the Soup
- 350g Parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 Onion
- 30g Butter
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Medium Curry Powder
- 900ml Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- 150ml Double Cream
For the Crisps
- 1 Parsnip
- Oil for deep frying
- A Pinch of Salt
For the Soup
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the sliced parsnips until they are browned slightly on each side.
- Remove the parsnips from the pan, leaving the rest of the butter.
- Chop the onion and fry in the same pan until soft, leave to one side.
- Lay the parsnips on a baking tray and drizzle with the honey.
- Place the parsnips in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes at 190oc (170 fan assisted) until golden.
- Place the stock in a large saucepan and add the onion, parsnips and curry powder and season with a little salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until everything is soft.
- Remove from the heat and place the soup in a blender. Blend until smooth and return to the pan.
- Add the cream and stir in, heat again for another 10 minutes.
- You can add a little more stock if the soup is too thick for you.
For the Crisps
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Using a peeler or slicer. Peel the skin from the parsnip and then use the peeler to create very think slices of parsnip.
- Place the slices into the oil and fry until they turn a golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain, they will still be a little soft until they dry and cool.
- Toss them with a pinch of salt and decorate the top of the soup bowls with them