A yummy alternative to plain chicken nuggets, these crispy lemon chicken bites served with a lemon mayonnaise dip is simple, quick and can be made in advance. A perfect family dish.
Whenever I am making chicken based recipes, my go to ingredient is lemon. Chicken and lemon make the best pairing. Just like my Lemony Roast Chicken.
I have been making these forever. You don’t even really need to measure everything out accurately and since there are only a few ingredients to remember it saves time digging out a recipe.
You’ve got to love the simplicity of lemon chicken bites coupled with the fact that they can be made in advance and frozen. I am all for quick, home made meals when you are having one of those crazy, busy days.
Just whip them out of the freezer in the morning and allow to defrost in the fridge for the day. They are ready in minutes!
I usually make a big batch and freeze in family sized portions.
Occasionally, the boys turn their noses up at chicken bites, but not these ones. They both really love them, especially dipping them in the lemon mayo.
Great with Dip!
Since weaning, having a dip of some kind on the table for the babies has always been a source of great entertainment. Watching them proudly dip their food is so satisfying. Although, watching Bam Bam then take a spoon to the dip and eat it on it’s own, means I do have to ration them slightly!
I’m pretty sure one of the first phrases Bam Bam mastered was “dip dip”!
Since I love a really lemony taste, I serve these with lemon wedges to squeeze over them before eating. I can’t get enough of it! And having an extra lemon flavour boost on the side means you can give your family the option of just how lemony they like their bites.
These aren’t limited to family cooking though. They are great for sharing with friends too, so don’t feel you can’t eat them without the kids present!
Crispy Lemon Chicken Bites With A Lemon Mayo Dip
- 500g Chicken Breast
- Zest of 1 Lemon, Finely Grated
- 250g Breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 40g Plain Flour
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Place the chicken individually into a food bag and flatten with a rolling pin.
- Remove the chicken and slice into fingers.
- Mix the lemon zest with the breadcrumbs
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into separate bowls.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the flour, followed by the egg and finally coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side over a medium heat until crispy, golden and cooked through.
- Mix the lemon juice with the mayonnaise and serve together.