Want to do something different with a nut roast? Try using it as a topping and creating this Creamy Nut Roast Potato Bake. So simple, so impressive and sooooo delicious.
Creamy Nut Roast Potato Bake
“Is it Christmas yet?” Are the words I shall be hearing every day for the next 25! I spent the day yesterday having a mad clean. Call me slightly OCD but I have the urge to have a big, big clean before our tree goes up. A messy house wouldn’t feel right for the official start of the Christmas season… I like to save that mess for the day itself, oh, and for the few weeks after when I am still hoovering up glitter and pine needles from every corner of my house!
So today we are busy decorating the tree! Yay!
The smell of the tree is what really makes it Christmas for me. Traditionally, every year we would spend boxing day with our extended family. Aunties, Uncles and Cousins, some of whom I didn’t see very often, would all get together for the day. We would enjoy food, sing carols and exchange presents. My Auntie’s house always had the most amazing smell of Christmas trees at this time of year and since we always had the most amazing day together, the smell fills me with such a happy Christmas feeling.
It’s that feeling that has me searching and experimenting with lots of new dishes that will go down well on Christmas day and this one certainly earns it’s place! A perfect vegetarian dish.
After making this nut roast the other day, I really wanted to experiment and try something new and this potato bake makes an amazing alternative. In fact, my potato bakes will never be the same again! This is officially my new favourite way to eat potatoes!
I can’t begin to tell you just how amazing the creamy potatoes are! Boiling them until they are soft, in the creamy garlic sauce, makes them so unbelievably mouth melting you’ll really want to keep on eating this! Just save some room for dessert…. who am I kidding?! There is always room for dessert!
I’m going to get back to covering the entire house in tinsel but I am urging you to get baking and give this a go!
Need a Nut Roast Recipe?
Since you only need to use half the amount of the nut roast recipe, it’s a good idea to prepare a nut roast with half the ingredients to use another day, just shape it and pop it in the freezer before cooking, you can whip it out any night you’re in a hurry.
Creamy Nut Roast Potato Bake
- 1 Kg Potatoes
- 600ml Milk
- 300ml Double Cream
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 80g Gruyere Cheese
- Half a portion of nut roast uncooked (see nut roast recipe)
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes.
- In a large pan, mix the milk and cream and add the garlic cloves, peeled but whole. Heat gently.
- Once warm add the potato slices, stirring often to prevent them sticking, boil in the milk mixture until soft.
- Remove the potatoes from the milk with a slotted spoon and arrange in an oven proof dish.
- Add the gruyere to the leftover milk in the pan, heat gently until the cheese has melted and pour over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the nut roast mixture over the top of the potatoes covering them completely.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes at 180oc (160oc fan assisted).