The boys are really into burgers right now and I have been trying my best to avoid burger chains as much as possible. The better option has been to simply make our own. So here is a yummy, buttermilk marinated, shallow fried chicken burger.
I have been feeling pretty pleased with myself after a major declutter this weekend, it wasn’t easy to be so brutal about the things I needed to get rid of, I am a sucker for sentiment and when I am in that frame of mind, I can literally find sentiment in anything, especially when it relates to the boys. But I finally have room for all the new Christmas gifts. Hurrah!
My current obsession are brioche buns, I can’t get enough of that rich, buttery goodness! Top your burger with avocado, salad, peppery mayo and melted cheese… ahhhh, I am in burger heaven right now! Who needs a burger chain burger?! This is soooo much better!
In case you’re wondering about the buttermilk chicken. Marinating the chicken in it, will tenderise the meat and give it a creamier taste. It’s worth it, I promise!
You can freeze these too! So you don’t have to worry about having to plan to marinate your chicken hours ahead every time you want a burger. Just defrost and go!
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Burger
For the Marinade
- 250 ml Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 0.5 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 4 Chicken Breasts
For the Coating
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 0.25 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- Panko Breadcrumbs
You will also need
- 4 Brioche Burger Buns
- Salad Leaves
- 1 Avocado
- Mix the buttermilk, paprika and cayenne together in a bowl.
- Place in the buttermilk, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- After marinating, take the chicken from the fridge and place each one in a sandwich bag.
- Take a rolling pin and flatten the chicken until its thin. If you want smaller burgers, cut the breasts in half.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the spices.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the beaten egg, covering it completely.
- Roll each piece with the spicy breadcrumbs, coating fully.
- When you're ready to cook them, heat a little oil in a frying pan and place each piece in.
- Fry on both sides until browned and cooked through completely.
- Serve in the brioche buns, with the salad and chopped avocado.
Looking for More Chicken Recipes?
Try this butter sage chicken recipe now